Are your kids creative? Do they love to invent things, write poems, or create their worlds? In today’s digital age, it’s becoming harder and harder to nurture your child’s creativity and imagination. Studies have shown that early exposure to creativity can improve children’s cognitive abilities.
One important thing in developing creativity is to let the children play and explore. In this world where there are so many distractions, children must get their hands dirty in things they are interested in. You can also play a part by discussing their interest and asking them questions that force them to think outside of the box.
Parents have the immense power to encourage creativity in their children, and it’s one thing that’s as important as nutrition and physical activity in their kids. If a child is not encouraged to think creatively and question conventional wisdom, he is all set to become a drone!
However, let’s look at 12 ways parents can nurture creativity in their kids.
- Encourage your child to play with different toys which improve creativity Eg. Building blocks, puzzles, drums, blocks, etc.
- Encourage your child to think of different responses for a given situation. Eg. What would happen if the sky was green?
- Encourage your child to think out of the box.
- Encourage your child to read a lot. This will help your child to increase his/her vocabulary and think from the other side.
- Be a good role model to your child. Research shows that parents are the #1 influence on a child’s creative potential.
- Encourage your child to take part in debates.
- Take your child for outings and vacations.
- Encourage your child to think on their own and follow their plan.
- Share your creative hobbies with your children.
- Provide your children with a safe and comfortable environment to work in.
- Come up with your creative projects and then let your children join you.
- Take your children on field trips or visits to art galleries and other places of creative interest.
When it comes to nurturing children’s creativity, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Every child is different, and every parent has their parenting style. And with that in mind, here are 10 tips and tricks you can use to nurture creativity in your kids.
The best part? These tips work for parents of all parenting styles! Whether you are a strict parent or a parent that likes to let your kid run free, these tips can help you nurture your child’s creativity.